Labels

Monday, February 27, 2012

Crib to 10k

Most of us have heard of the "Couch to 5k" workout plan by now, right? It "coaches" you over a 9 week period from being a non-runner to being able to run a 5k. Dan and I started this plan with the new year. We did about 2 weeks solid before life set in. You wouldn't believe how hectic our evenings get from the time Dan walks in the door: cooking dinner, sitting down to eat, baths, bedtime routine--all while keeping mobile twins happy and out of trouble! It's a real zoo. A lot of times our way to deal is Dan takes the babies running while I cook. That way the babies are happy and out of the kitchen! But this doesn't work out too well since I don't get that running time, and Dan wants me to be able to come along too.

At the start of the year, we signed ourselves up for the Mardi Gras Mambo, a 10k event in Baton Rouge. This was to help motivate us to keep up with the C25K, but we never did finish the training. The 10k was this past Saturday, and we basically winged it! Ha! It was quite interesting. Dan set us a really easy goal of finishing the 6.2 miles in only 1.5 hours. That goal shouldn't be difficult even with us skipping training, except Dan had to push twins in a jogging stroller the whole way! (Along with a stash of toys, jackets, bottles, etc loaded in the bottom of the stroller.) But he did great! I was actually the one holding us up. I was getting lots of pain in my hips, which I thought was from not stretching or something. But I visited one of the physical therapists that were available on site after the run, and it turns out it's related to my iliotibial band syndrome (basically, my bowleggedness from a tight IT band in my leg which causes my hip to crack when I walk/run. If you know me, you know what I'm talking about because I've probably made you feel the cracking before haha. Or you've seen me turn my feet nearly completely backwards; that's also related to this). Anyways, not important, except I'm the one that made us come in at 1:29 (hey! it's a minute under Dan's goal!) But fortunately the therapist told me some good exercises and stretches to help my IT band and the muscles in the area so it won't be as problematic next time. My sister Mary also came; she finished around 1:12 I believe! Yay! The twins had a great time; they usually enjoy the outdoors and stroller rides, so this was a great combo for them. It was also during their nap time, as you can tell from some of the pics below!

Babies bundled up before the race
About to start! Look so legit with that number on my tummy ;)
And we're off!
Dan during the race
Babies during the race
Post-race snack

It was a great day. We met Toni and her "math friends" for lunch at Izzo's aftwards. Then that night we met my mom for sushi at Tsunami and saw Cirque du Soliel - Quidam! We can't wait to sign up for more races this year, and of course do the Mardi Gras Mambo again next year!

love,
beth

No comments:

Post a Comment